Friday, February 28, 2014

My Oscar Picks (and the winners!)

The Oscars are 2 days away and while I usually don't care much, this is the first year I've seen all the movies before the awards. Therefore I feel I should put in my two cents. I'm going to say who I want to win and then also who I think will win (I never could pick a winner anyway).

NOW UPDATED WITH THE WINNERS

Best Picture (Links are to all my own reviews)
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Her
Gravity
Nebraska
Philomena
12 Years a Slave
The Wolf of Wall Street 
 Who I Want to Win: I enjoy so many of these. Gun to my head, though, I have to say Her struck me as most enjoyable, based on it's unique concept and all around great execution.
Who I Think Will Win: I'm leaning towards 12 Years a Slave taking it, or possibly Wolf of Wall Street simply because it got a lot of buzz upon release.
Who Won: 12 Years a Slave

Best Director
David O. Russell (American Hustle)
Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)
Alexander Payne (Nebraska)
Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave)
Martin Scorsese (The Wolf of Wall Street)
Who I Want to Win: Each of these films is so radically different, I'm having trouble picking one. I guess since Gravity was such a thrilling ride I'll say Alfonso Cuaron.
Who I Think Will Win:  I also suspect the Academy will say Alfonso Cuaron.
Who Won: Alfonso Cuaron

Best Actor
Christian Bale (American Hustle)
Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)
Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)
Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
Who I Want to Win: Another tough one but I kinda think Chiwetel Ejoifor should take this one, although I love me my crazy ol' Bruce Dern in Nebraska (choices!)
Who I Think Will Win: Probably Matthew McConaughey. It's some of the best work he's done and a lot of people were surprised by that. Sometimes that helps.
Who Won: Matthew McConaughey

Best Actress
Amy Adams (American Hustle)
Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)
Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
Judi Dench (Philomena)
Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)
Who I Want to Win:  I love all these women, but I think Cate Blanchett will win for her awesome work in Blue Jasmine (I have a review of that I'll publish soon).
Who I Think Will Win: Cate Blanchett: she's already won most things and frankly her character is the most complicated. 
Who Won: Cate Blanchett

Best Supporting Actor
Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)
Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
Who I Want to Win: Jared Leto for breaking my heart. Or Barkhad Abdi for scaring me senseless.
Who I Think Will Win: Jared Leto.
Who Won: Jared Leto

Best Supporting Actress
Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle)
Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)
Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
June Squibb (Nebraska)
Who I Want to Win: For this one I'm going to go with a long shot and say June Squibb. She made me laugh hard and I love her for that. Lupita Nyong'o made me cry hard, so I'd be happy if she won too.
Who I Think Will Win: Sigh...Jennifer Lawrence. And she was good and I love her, don't get me wrong. She just wasn't my favorite out of these five. But everyone loves her so we'll see how this one goes.
Who Won: Lupita Nyong'o

Best Writing- Original Screenplay
American Hustle- Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell
Blue Jasmine- Woody Allen
Dallas Buyers Club- Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack
Her- Spike Jonze
Nebraska- Bob Nelson
Who I Want to Win: Gotta go with Spike Jonze for creating a whole awesome world for us to look at and really make the audience think.
Who I Think Will Win: Spike Jonze. That's right, I'm backing my decision.
Who Won: Spike Jonze

Best Writing- Adapted Screenplay
Before Midnight- Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, and Ethan Hawke
Captain Phillips- Billy Ray
Philomena- Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope
12 Years a Slave- John Ridley
The Wolf of Wall Street- Terence Winter
Who I Want to Win: Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope. This one's pretty selfish, I just love Steve Coogan and want him to have an Oscar.
Who I Think Will Win: Terence Winter. No explanation, just a hunch.
Who Won: John Ridley

I know there are a ton more categories but unfortunately I haven't seen the documentaries, short films, etc. I also don't know the qualifications for sound or camera categories. So to keep it simple I'll stick to these 7 categories. We'll see how I did come Sunday. UPDATE: I got 6 out of 8. Getting myself some ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment