Saturday, August 10, 2013

Ben Sollee: Cello Rock Star

I woke up this morning feeling almost a tad hungover. Which was very confusing because I hadn't had anything to drink the night before. Turns out I simply had leftover emotions from the concert I went to last night at the Altar Bar. Last time I went there I saw the great Wanda Jackson. Headlining this concert: cello rock star Ben Sollee.

I feel like I say this a lot, but I first saw Ben Sollee when he performed at Mountain Stage in Morgantown a few years ago. He performed a short set, as is customary at Mountain Stage, but it was enough for me (and my sister) to become fans. I learned he was going to be at the Altar Bar, asked my sister if she wanted to go, and quickly purchased tickets.

It was a simply amazing concert. Doing a full 2 hour show was a major improvement and we really got to see Mr. Sollee show off his talents. 

The cello is a favorite instrument of mine. I love string instruments when they're played expertly and properly, and I have a great respect for people who have mastered playing them (I gave two attempts to learn guitar in my life and gave up quickly. No patience for that). And Ben Sollee is definitely a master of his craft.

Below is the video I took of him performing "Prettiest Tree on the Mountain". A song my sister likes to say is about her. (It isn't.)


Accompanied by a drummer and a bass player, Sollee performs his songs with an amazing supply of soul and energy. He is definitely the kind of musician that deserves to be seen/heard live. His songs are terrific enough on his albums (Inclusions and Half-Made Man are the more recent ones) but hearing them live excels the experience. Mostly because he takes the time to do some great extended cello riffs or the occasional drum solo from his just-as-talented drummer, Jordan Ellis.
I always try to remember what songs stuck out to me. I jotted down the titles in my phone but then I forget the specific reasons why I liked them. But my personal favorites were "Teach Me", "It's Not Impossible (Boys Don't Cry)", and "The Globe". Then there was the 4-song encore ("I just don't feel like stopping" Ben would say with a sly smile) that included their first live performance of Harry Belafonte's "Dolly Dawn" (he should sing that a lot more often) and a very fast-paced version of Ben's "Bury Me With My Car".

Here is the drum break (box..break?) and also the last verse of "Bury Me With My Car".

 So anyway if you haven't been clicking these links or videos DO IT because he's a great musician who gives outstanding concerts. Check him out.

Also I should mention his opening act, Circles & Squares, which is a fresh group that they said was formed roughly a month ago. Last night was one of their first outings and they did a great job getting the crowd all excited for Ben. I'd definitely listen to them again. So go to their Facebook page, give 'em a like, and hopefully we'll be seeing more of them soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment