Saturday, March 10, 2012

Things I Read

I often don't blog about the books I've read, mostly because I read a good bit of ridiculous things. I enjoy fiction, and I tend to lean towards the fantasy/sci fi genre (not the coolest option, but I like what I like). I'm also partial to "celebrity" autobiographies: because I personally believe that anybody's life story can be made interesting if you write it properly. So, three months into 2012 and I'd like to talk about some of the things I've read.


My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales
Edited by Kate Bernheimer, with a foreword by Gregory Macguire
Summary: A collection of reinvented fairy tales by a variety of different authors. They stories are separated by region (Japanese fairy tales, German, French, etc) and range in terms of how adapted they are.
My Thoughts:
A collection of short stories or tales is a bittersweet thing: you encounter really good stories, and you encounter some less-than-good ones. But the good ones are always worth it, and the same is true in this collection. Some of my favorites pieces were written by authors such as Neil LaBute, Neil Gaimon, Stacey Richter, Aimee Bender, and Kevin Brockmier, just to name a small few. I really liked the notes written by the editor Kate Bernheimer, who really seems to enjoy her field of work (fairy tales). Definitely a good read if you enjoy re-imaginings of classics.



The Hunger Games Trilogy (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay)
By Suzanne Collins
Summary:
The young adult series is picking up popularity due to the eagerly awaited film version. The books are set in the future where the country is divided into Districts and each year, two children (age 11-18) are selected to compete in the Hunger Games, where they must fight their competitors to the death. Katniss Evergreen volunteers to fight for her sister Prim, and the series focuses on her competing in the games and eventually becoming a symbol of rebellion in the country.
My Thoughts:
I know, I know, I'm jumping on a bandwagon of sorts. But I can't help it; I really liked these books. In first person we really get into Katniss' head and she's such a strong character who makes smart decisions even when life continually throws shit her way. Her life has been a hard one, she makes Harry Potter look like a total wuss. The books move at an exciting pace, mostly because lives are constantly in danger. It's a young adult book, but it gets dark near the end. Definitely a good read if you're skeptical about seeing the film.


My Horizontal Life
By Chelsea Handler
Summary:
In her first book (before her talk show and eventual fame) Chelsea recounts some of her sexual escapades from her youth, in the salty, frank way she only knows how.
My Thoughts:
I kind of did this backwards, since this is her first book and I read it last. Her other books, Are You There Vodka? and Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang are so entertaining. I don't watch Chelsea Lately anymore, and I fear Handler's 15 minutes of fame are winding down. However, I think she's a great writer and that's where her true strengths lie. If she were to quit her show and just write books and do comedy I think she would do just fine. She tells simple stories but makes them interesting with her unique nicknames (Dumb Dumb and Fat Ass to name a few) and her frank way of dealing with people. A fun, funny read.

Bossypants
By Tina Fey
Summary:
The former Saturday Night Live head writer and current star/creator of 30 Rock talks about her life and experiences in this funny memoir.
My Thoughts:
Tina Fey is probably one of my favorite people, a statement I know I'm not alone in saying. She is just a genuinely funny woman and an incredibly hard worker. She didn't have a traumatizing childhood, or if she did she doesn't get into it in the book. Rather, she talks about her times starting out doing the Second City, or having trouble writing comedy after 9/11 happened. Her book is the first book I bought with my Kindle and it was a great decision. Great read.
A Sample Quote: "On at least three occasions, I vomited on Christmas Eve from mixing chocolate, peel-and-eat shrimp, summer sausage, and cheese. No alcohol was involved." -Tina Fey, Bossypants pg 117


Frankenstein
By Mary Shelley
Summary:
In this classic (often considered the first horror novel) Dr. Victor Frankenstein recounts his experiment to recreate life, and the creature that haunts him for bringing him into the world.
My Thoughts:
I haven't read the book since high school, and it was one of the few I actually enjoyed in high school. Going back over it again, I enjoyed it once more. The chapters with the creature narrating are so great: imagine what it must feel like being born as a grown man? Not knowing anything about life or people or language or religion and having to figure it all out on your own. Such an interesting topic and a good read for nostalgia purposes (also it's free on Kindle).
A Sample Quote: "If such lovely creatures were miserable, it was less strange that I, an imperfect and solitary being, should be wretched."
-The creature, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein pg 59


The Math Teacher is Dead
By Robert Manners
Summary:
In this novel a wealthy young man named Danny Vandevere gets his life shaken up when he discovers the body of his math teacher during his morning jog. As he tries to figure out who could do this, more victims pile up and Danny is forced to grow up as he deals with multiple lovers and someone who is out to get him.
My Thoughts:
Ok, so this book was free on Kindle so I got it. And...let's just say sometimes you get what you pay for. The book was kind of an awkward read. For starters Danny is perfect: he has money, he's great looking, he's well-hung, he's a nice guy, and he can get practically any guy to have sex with him. And that would be fine if we were supposed to mock him, but we're actually supposed to empathize with this kid, and it's hard to do that with such a perfect character who seemingly has no faults. The dialogue is a clunky at times and at others is just plain unrealistic. A lot of characters don't get developed very well, like Danny's serious boyfriend Jeremy. The ending is also oddly predictable but very forced. I'm not sure who the target audience was for this book, but I don't think it would please many. It's an interesting idea, but it wasn't executed too well.


Life as I Blow It: Tales of Love, Life, and Sex...Not Necessarily in That Order
By Sarah Colonna, with a foreword by Chelsea Handler
Summary:
Sarah Colonna is a comedian and a writer/panelist on Chelsea Lately. While her popularity is not as strong as Chelsea's following, anyone who's watched the show regularly knows Ms. Colonna is a hilarious person. In her book she tells tales of her dating/love life, as well as her trials of trying to find work in show business.
My Thoughts:
I know, I know, yet another female comedian's book I'm reading. I can't help it; I love 'em. Ms. Colonna is a very smart individual. Her writing is hilarious, which is expected, but what was delightfully unexpected was her willingness to show her vulnerable side (something Chelsea Handler rarely does). She doesn't pretend to know everything, yes she somehow makes some very smart observations. I feel like it's definitely a great read for young females who need to learn how to calm the fuck down about their love life. Actually, it's probably a great read for everyone.
A Sample Quote: "I think it's common for people to take things for granted until they're gone, which was something I had learned from the band Cinderella and their song "Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone)." -
Sarah Colonna, Life As I Blow It, pg 50

And there we have it. Currently I'm reading the second book in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, A Clash of Kings. My goal was to read it before the second season of Game of Thrones premieres April 1st. I probably won't reach that goal, but I will surely enjoy trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment