Sunday, July 1, 2012

Thunderstorms, Fallen Trees, Mace, and a side of home fries.

It's been quite the weekend for me. Having a lot more time off than usual I decided to make a trip to Morgantown to visit my best friend Mara for her birthday. Since my little deathrap died, I had to rely on my parent to take me from Pittsburgh to my little town o' Moundsville.

Little did I know that in addition to me, a ROUGH summer storm was also heading for Moundsville, and many other towns near it. I got home on Friday afternoon. After a day catching up and eating ice cream, we were going to go visit my cousin. However, before we could leave, the storm struck. Wind blew trees everywhere and eventually, as is the case, our power went out. When the storm subsided we tried to leave, only we didn't make it very far as there were trees down all over our lane. My sister and I moved some of the smaller trees out of our way, but our uncle eventually took his trusty chainsaw and tractor to clear the larger branches.

Our neighbors, however, won the contest for biggest tree lost. This giant pine tree next to their house fell over, not blocking the road but still quite an impressive sight.
Someone's going to have an AWESOME Christmas though.
So the power was (and, as of right now, is) still out. My relatives all resort to using their generators. I run over to sleep at my grandparents house (I need a fan sound to sleep...I'm a princess that way). Saturday morning my dad and I set out to get a generator from my cousin. We went into town...Dad's truck needed gas. There are about 5 gas stations in town. Only two of them had power. We had to wait a while.
I was yelling at people. "EVERYONE PAY AT THE PUMP, IT TAKES TOO LONG OTHERWISE!"
Finally we succeeded and shortly afterwards my sister and I abandoned ship to Morgantown. After transporting her bed (my old bed) to her new house I met up with Mara and her boyfriend Nate. We had some wine and headed out to Downtown Morgantown. First stop was bdubs; I needed to get some chicken in me. There we met up with our old buddy Jack and we headed to Vice Versa, Morgantown's gay bar.

Our plan was to go bar hopping, but we're kinda lazy people so we stayed at Vice. Plus, Captain Morgan is my friend. We eventually learned there would be a short Strip/Drag show. I don't have any pics or vids of the stripper Kennedy Morgan (sorry, loyal fans) however I took some video of the Drag show. Because the drag queen, a Molly Belle Cummings, did a number to 4 Non Blonde's "What's Up?" which is like my favorite worst song ever.

 

So, a bit more rum and a little dancing (I dance like Elaine from Seinfeld. Seriously, people left.) and we eventually decided to go home. Except we couldn't, because apparently the police were macing people right outside. So we had to wait a bit. Eventually we made our escape. 


The next morning, Mara and I headed to brunch at one of her favorites, The Golden Finch. I had eaten there before, and it was delicious then. I had banana chocolate chip pancakes, but this time I went for something cheesier: an Italian Ham omelet.
Their presentation was better, I had already dug into this mess.
It was a delicious omelet, with all sorts of veggies mixed in with the ham and cheese. Also got a side of home fries with onions, some toast, and a little fruit. Although I've only eaten there twice, I would strongly recommend hitting it up if you're in Morgantown, it's a great little place.

  
The interior of the Finch.
After breakfast, Mara and I decided to see an early movie. The movie was Rock of Ages. We didn't like it. I wrote a rather harsh review about it. And then, a nice truck ride back to Pittsbugh.

So yes, that was fun times, no? And I expect them to continue. I'm seeing Magic Mike tomorrow with some friends (keeping in the stripping theme of late) and Friday going to a Pirates game. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment